Sunday 14 December 2014

Kumar Sangakkara: This is definitely my last ODI series in Sri Lanka

undefined
                                  Sangakkara has been the bedrock of Sri Lanka's batting line-up 
Kumar Sangakkara, the legend of Sri Lankan cricket, announced that he won't play the abridged version of the game after the ICC Cricket World Cup 2015. He also added that he will play only in a couple of Test series after the mega-event in Australia and New Zealand. Sangakkara, in his illustrious career, spanning 14 years, has aggregated 11,988 runs in Tests and 13,339 runs in ODIs.
"This is definitely my last one-day series in Sri Lanka," Sangakkara told reporters in Pallekele after the sixth ODI, which saw Sri Lanka win the match by 90 runs and seal the seven-match series 4-2.

In his last game in his home town, Kandy, he made a sizzling hundred and ended with the man of the match award. After the game, Sangakkkara also spoke about his future plans after the World Cup.
"I just wanted to go out with a win and win the series and seal it before we go to Colombo. It was never a question about going out there to score a hundred," Sangakkara said after notching up a sumptuous century.
"We have four years to build up a good team. Today, Dinesh Chandimal came in after a while and played a very special, very important innings. Just like that, the likes of Lahiru Thirimanne, Dimuth Karunaratne and Kusal Perera have plenty of ability and plenty of talent. We need to give them time and opportunities, just like we had when we were younger. They need time to settle, mature and win another World Cup after this next one," he said.

"My plans for next year are a case of finalising my Test career, and ensuring I can keep my word to the people that I've given my word to. The only thing left is to think about my Test career beyond the World Cup. But I don't see myself playing more than a couple of series at the most," he added.
Sangakkara also added that he would like to play for English county side, Surrey in the near future. He has already played for Durham in County Championship.
"Playing for Surrey is something that I really want to do as well. Graham Ford is there. I've worked with Fordie, and he's been brilliant for Sri Lankan cricket, and personally to me. He's been a fantastic influence in my career. The idea is not to go cold turkey with retirement, but to slowly wind it down and make sure I don't drive my family nuts by staying at home all day. Hopefully, I'll be able to make it there and have a good season," Sangakkara concluded.

No comments:

Post a Comment